Tuesday 31 May 2011

Frithjof Tidemand-Johannesen, an update.

Carl Frithjof Tidemand-Johannessen



(1916 -1958)


Norwegian artist, designer, illustrator, writer, author and craftsman.



Attentive blog reader and Tidemand fan Tim pointed me with his comment to this recent and extensive entry in Wikipedia dedicated to the life and art of this Norwegian artist. Because the two postings of 29.7 and 12.8 2010 on this artist are, besides those on John Hall Thorpe, the most read postings of the Linosaurus, I decided sharing this information here.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frithjof_Tidemand-Johannessen

Thank you for commenting and letting me know Tim.



Apple orchard in Bloom (1953)


City of Myth (1949)

Fishing boats in Sicily (1957)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, You could also try to look up Danish artist Johannes Larsen (d. 1967), who did fine woodcuts and etchings of birds. Another fine printmaker was Norbertine Bresslern-Roth and her circle, in Switzerland if I'm not mistaken.

    In England Robert Greenhalf is producing good prints of birds. Also check out Kim Atkinson from Wales. I haven't seen any work of the superb Dutch printmaker Siemen Dijkstra, who lives just round the corner in Dwingeloo, and a bit further north, in Winsum, Groningen there's Dutch-Finnish artist Marjatta Ranta-Iso, with very poetic landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a stream of remarks and suggestions, really appreciated. N.B.R is very well covered in "Modern Printmakers" by Charles and she is the queen of the animal woodblock. She has her own book. I've compared some printmakers to Robert Greenhalf somewhere in a posting once and my humble Blopg is mostly covering the lesser and more vintage printmakers. Siemen Dijkstra's work is familiar to me and indeed he lives nearby (I have a visit planned for a long time. He is mostly if not completely dedicated to the reduction technique. I will look up Ranta-Isso. My brother used to live in Winsum.
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting Robin.

    ReplyDelete